Hello, this is Jennifer Long from Bee Sew Inspired and today is my first post as a new designer for the Therm O Web Education Team. I am a Modern Rag Doll Designer and Quilt Pattern Designer and I love to blend both these worlds together and design monthly mini quilts to accompany the dolls! Today I am going to teach you how to sew together this Inspirational Mini Quilt!
However, mini-quilts are NOT just for dolls! I love them so much because they can be made on a weekend, you can play with new fabrics or use up your scraps, they make great gifts from the heart, and they are a wonderful way to decorate and add color and style to your house at every season!
Believe It is Possible Unicorn Mini Quilt
So this month I am bringing to you a mini quilt to INSPIRE you! At a very young age, I was fortunate enough to learn the power of positive thinking… that we can not control outcomes and other people’s words and actions, but that we can control our inner voice and what we believe we can accomplish. Growing up training in a professional ballet school taught me that if I was willing to put the work in and believe in myself, I could achieve the goals I set out to accomplish! Now, as a mom of 4 pre-teens and teenagers, I work hard to teach my children that they can do and be whatever they imagine for themselves. There are no limits to imagination! Isn’t that such an empowering thought?!
I wanted to design an inspirational mini quilt this month that would reflect, encourage and inspire those positive thoughts in all of us! Everyone has something amazing to offer and this mini quilt sums it up for me! “Believe it is Possible” is the name of this mini! It is made using my FAVORITE half-square rectangle method which I teach full detail in the mini quilt PDF pattern as well as give a FREE Video tutorial on how fun and simple they are to make. I planned this mini quilt, so when you look at it, you feel like it goes on forever… Just like our imaginations! Let’s get started!
What You Need:
- 1 package of Heat n Bond Lite
- Spray n Bond Fabric Stiffener
- Equivalent to 1 yard of black fabric scraps for blocks and borders
- Equivalent to 1/2 yard of teal fabric scraps for blocks
- 1/8 yard of pink fabric for fusing your lettering
- 1/8 yard of purple fabric for binding
- 26″ x 36″ batting and backing fabric
- Believe it is Possible Template (use the coupon code “BELIEVE” to get it for FREE!)
- Believe it is Possible Mini Quilt Pattern (optional – use the coupon code “BELIEVEMINI” to get the PDF version of the pattern for 50% off)
Mini Quilt Cutting Instructions
There are two directions of HSRs (half-square rectangles) and both HSRs are used upright and rotated in this quilt. Note: the raw edge applique instructions will follow after quilt assembly.
From Solid Black:
- Cut 2 – 4 ½” x 24 ½” rectangles (Label as top & bottom border)
- Cut 2 – 3” x 24 ½” rectangles (Label as side border)
From Scrappy Black Prints:
- Cut 24 – 4” x 7” rectangles
From Scrappy Teal Prints:
- Cut 24 – 4” x 7” rectangles
From Binding Fabric:
- Cut 3 – 2 ½” x WOF strips
- Take all 48 – 4″ x 7″ rectangles and generously spray them with Spray n Bond Fabric Stiffener. Press and let dry. You will be happy you did this step when you are sewing and trimming these rectangles! It truly makes them so easy to work with!
- Using one black and one teal rectangle for each block, draw a diagonal line, rotate and sew together 12 HSRs in each direction. Watch the video tutorial in the FREE Educational Facebook Group – Inspired Quilting to see how EASY this method is!!! Trim each HSR to 3″ x 6″.
- Next, layout, rotate, and arrange the HSRs using the diagram. Sew each row together pressing each row’s seams in opposite directions. Sew all 4 rows together to make the center of the quilt.
- Sew the two side borders on the mini quilt and press the seams out. Then sew the 2 top borders on. The mini quilt top is pieced!
Believe Mini Quilt Applique Instructions
The fusible applique method is used on all the applique pieces in the pattern. All the applique designs are already reversed so they will face the correct direction when ironed onto your mini quilt. The applique shapes are overlapped as they are positioned in each project. The cutting directions will tell you what fabric to use for what applique piece.
- Trace all applique pieces of the design to the paper side of the Heat n Bond LITE sewable Iron-On Adhesive
- Cut out the pieces leaving approximately ¼” around the shapes.
- Take all the raw-edge applique shapes and finish preparing them for fusing by ironing the traced shapes to the wrong side of the pink fabrics. Trim carefully around all the details and edges.
- Layout and arrange the applique words and shapes on the prepared Main Background.
- Remove the paper backing off of each shape and fuse in place with your iron.
- Finish the raw edges of each shape with a coordinating thread color by hand or with your sewing machine using a shortened straight stitch.
Finishing Your Mini Quilt
- Layer your backing, batting, and quilt top. Quilt as desired.
- Bind the edges with your favorite binding method.
- For added fun… embellish your quilt with long stitch hand quilting, embroidery, or buttons.
If you prefer to have a PDF, fully illustrated version of this mini quilt pattern, you can grab the Believe it is Possible Mini Quilt pattern in my shop HERE. Use the code: “BELIEVEMINI” at checkout for a 50% discount on the pattern. Or consider joining the Inspired Mini Quilts Club to get a Mini Quilt pattern every month, with tips, tricks, and inspiration – delivered right to your inbox for only $5 / month!
Or, grab the FREE “Believe it is Possible” Template page HERE and use the code “BELIEVE” at checkout.
Pattern and Tutorial Links:
Believe it is Possible Mini Quilt
use code “BELIEVEMINI” at checkout for 50% off the pattern
Believe it is Possible Templates ONLY
use code: “BELIEVE” at checkout so they are FREE!!!
Julia Butterfly Doll
Spring Fling Dress
Heat and Bond:
Unicorn Kingdom by Shawn Wallace of Doodlegirl Shawn for Riley Blake Designs
Half-Square Rectangle Video Tutorial
Raw-Edge Applique Video Tutorial
“Decide what you want… believe you can have it,
…believe you deserve it,.. believe it is possible for you!!”