Hello, sunshine! Today I’m so happy to share this cheerful little applique project with you. It features all of my favorite things: bright colors, happy thoughts, hand-stitching, and fun applique! This project comes together in no time, and it’s sure to brighten up your space! While I turned my block into a framed picture, you could also use it to make a mini quilt or a pillow. It’s the epitome of summer, which will be here before we know it!
- Spray n Bond Basting Adhesive
- 1 package of Heat n Bond Lite
- Cut one 5″ x 7″ rectangle from interfacing
- 5″ x 7″ piece of yellow fabric, and a scrap of batting the same size
- 3″ x 4″ piece of green fabric and matching green thread
- 12″ x 15″ piece of fabric for the background
- 11″ x 14″ picture frame
- Embroidery thread for decorative stitching
- Lemon Template
- Using the Spray n Bond Basting Adhesive, baste the batting to the yellow fabric
- Cut out the lemon template and trace it on the non-bumpy side of the interfacing.
- Place the square of interfacing bumpy side together with the right side of yellow fabric. Sew on the drawn line all the way around. Cut out the lemon shape, leaving a scant 1/4″ seam allowance.
- Cut an “X” in the center of the interfacing and turn the lemon right side out through the opening.
- Next, make the bow “leaves” by gathering the green rectangle in the center and tying the thread around the middle, cinching it together. Tie the thread several times to make sure it’s good and tight and won’t come loose. IMPORTANT: leave the tying threads long. You will use these to sew the leaf bow onto your background later.
- Next, prepare your background fabric. I hand-stitched “Hello Sunshine” on mine, along with some white “lemon seed” shapes to make it a little extra special.
- TIP: Don’t like your handwriting? Print out the phrase on your computer and trace the printed font on your fabric to use as a stitching guide!
- Once all your hand stitching is complete, add your applique. Pull the long threads from your leaf bow together and thread them through a needle. Stitch in place to secure.
- Place your lemon applique where you want it and iron it from the backside of your background fabric to fuse it in place. Hand stitch to secure.
- Press when complete. Take the glass out of your frame and center your fabric over the cardboard insert that comes with the frame. Pull the excess fabric to the back and tape in place. Put your new fabric art in the frame and enjoy! Look at all this amazing texture!
- Now comes the hard part: deciding where to put it! You can hang it up…
…or prop it up on a dresser or cabinet!
No matter where you decide to put it, I hope it brings you joy!