Summertime Balloon with Rainbow Clouds
I love summertime! It’s a happy time at our house. The kids are out of school, the days are getting longer, and my flowers are in full bloom! I love all the colors and the adventures summer brings. It’s not unusual for a hot air balloon to coast over our little house in the country on a nice summer evening. When I see them drift by, I long to sail along in one too. But for now, this little balloon applique project is as close as I can get to that adventure. If you are looking for a quick little sewing adventure too, follow along and I’ll share how I made this little work of art.
- Fat quarter of background fabric
- Scraps of fabric for the balloon and clouds
- 1 package of HeatnBond EZ Print Lite fusible interfacing sheets
- Picture frame or embroidery hoop
- Applique templates:
- Cut your fat quarter into a 15″ x 18″ rectangle
- Print the applique templates onto the EZ Print Lite sheets
- If you don’t have the EZ Print Lite sheets, trace templates onto the paper side of HeatnBond Lite fusible interfacing
- Roughly cut out each applique shape. Iron to the back of the corresponding fabric pieces.
- Repeat this process for all applique pieces. When finished, cut along printed pattern lines, peel off the paper backing, and set aside.
- Arrange applique pieces on background fabric and fuse them in place.
- Stitch along the shapes to secure in place.
- Using contrasting thread, stitch the ropes that tie the basket to the balloon.
- Once all pieces are fused in place, wrap the excess background fabric over the cardboard insert that comes with the picture frame and secure it. Frame your picture and enjoy!
Thanks for sewing along with me! I hope your summer is filled with lots of fun adventures!
And don’t miss my fun companion piece to this hot air balloon! Just click on the image for this project and free pattern!