Spring is in the air, and Easter is right around the corner! I love all the soft colors that spring to life this time of year, and I start bringing more color into my home to drive out the blues of winter and to welcome this new season. I love Easter time, the hope and celebration that goes along with it, and all the cute decor that makes it fun and whimsical. When I think of Easter, I think of pretty colors, flowers, little bunnies, and cute little chicks. So, I designed a pillow to feature several of those things. I’m excited to bring some new life into my home this time of year, and I think this pillow will do just the trick!
- HeatnBond EZ Print Lite sheets
- SpraynBond Basting Spray
- Scraps of fabric for the patchwork
- Cut scraps into 40 – 2 1/2″ squares
- Small pieces of fabric for the Spring Chicks
- 10.5″ x 20.5″ piece of background fabric
- 2 – 1.5″ x 20.5″ strips of border fabric
- 21″ square of batting
- 22″ square of lining fabric
- 2 – 2 1/2″ x WOF strips of binding fabric
- Fabric for pillow back:
- 14 1/2″ X 20 1/2″
- 8 1/2″ X 20 1/2″
- 24″ zipper
- 2 black buttons for eyes (or use small circles from the pattern to cut fabric eyes)
- Spring Chicks Applique Patterns
- Print each of the spring chick patterns onto the HeatnBond Lite EZ Print Sheets
- Roughly cut out each shape, leaving a little margin around each pattern piece. Iron each shape onto the back of the fabric chosen for each piece.
- Cut the shapes from the fabric pieces along the pattern lines.
- Arrange the fabrics for the chicks on the 10 1/2″ x 20 1/2″ piece of background fabric. Fuse in place.
- Stitch around the pieces to secure.
- Sew a 1 1/2″ x 20 1/2″ piece of border fabric to the top of the background piece. Sew the other 1 1/2″ x 20 1/2″ piece of border fabric to the bottom. Sew the strips of patchwork squares to the border fabric as shown.
- Using basting spray, fuse together the pillow front, batting square, and pillow lining. Quilt as desired. Trim to 20 1/2″ square.
- To make the pillow back, sew the 14 1/2″ x 20 1/2″ rectangle of pillow back fabric to one side of the zipper. Sew the 8 1/2″ x 20 1/2″ piece to the other. Trim the fabric to 20 1/2″ square. Cut off excess zipper from the sides, making sure not to cut off the zipper pull.
- Sew the two binding strips together. Fold in half, wrong sides together, and press.
- Pin the pillow front and back sections together. Attach binding using your favorite binding method.
- Stuff your pillow cover with a 20″ or 22″ pillow insert, fluff, and enjoy!
I hope you and your family have a wonderful and joyful Easter this year!
SpraynBond always plays a key role in our fabric projects. From our SpraynBond Fusible Adhesive to our SpraynBond Basting Spray to new Pattern Spray and our NEW SpraynBond Fabric Stiffener Spray… they all need to be present in your crafting space. Enter to win a collection of our SpraynBond products plus HeatnBond EZ Print Sheets!
If you’re not familiar with our NEW Fabric Stiffener Spray it makes fabrics more paper-like and fray-free for easy cutting, pressing, and stitching. This quick-dry, non-aerosol formula dries clear and can be left in or washed out depending on your needs. Unlike other fabric stiffeners on the market, there is no need to soak the fabric, just spray until damp. Let fabric air-dry or iron it for immediate use. This prize is worth $60!