I love dressing up my porch for the summer and this year I decided that the chairs my dad made years ago for me needed some new comfortable pillows. These Patriotic Pillows are a fairly simple sew and made more fun with a little sparkly foil action. I am using Patriotic Picnic, and white on white Mini Hashtag fabric from Riley Blake designs for my pillows.
Sew A Patriotic Pillow with HeatnBond and StitchnSew Fleece
To get started you will need:
Fabric (for 1 pillow):
- ¼ yard white
- 25 various 3” blue squares
- ¼ yard red
- ½ yard backing
- ¼ yard binding (optional)
- 20” square fabric for the back of quilt sandwich (optional)
- Deco foil Hot Melt Adhesive
- Red and Silver Stars Deco Foil Transfer Sheets
- Heatnbond lite Fusible Adhesive
- StitchnSew Sew-in fleece (optional)
- 20″ pillow form
- star template found here.
- 2- 13” X 1 ½”
- 2- 15” X 1 ½”
White fabric for stars
- 10 ½” X 11”
- 2- 15” X 3”
- 2- 20” X 3”
- 2-20” X 16”
10 ¼” X 10 ¾”
Assembly *all seams are 1/4″ :
Sew A Patriotic Pillow with HeatnBond and StitchnSew Fleece Instructions:
Begin by sewing the blue squares into 5 rows of 5. Press the seams of each row in opposite directions, then sew rows together.
Add the borders, first the white border and then the red border. Set aside
1. Trace 7 large stars on the paper side of the heat n bond lite. Fuse the heat n bond to the 10 ½” X 11” piece of white fabric. Cut out the stars. *the pattern links in my Craftsy shop also include the .svg files so you can use an electronic cutter to cut out both the fused white fabric as well as the Deco Foil Hot Melt Adhesive
2. Trace 5 small stars on the paper side of the Deco Foil adhesive. Cut out stars.
3. Apply the adhesive in the centers of 5 of the fabric stars.
4. Apply red foil to 3 stars and silver star foil to 2 stars.
Arrange the 7 stars on the pillow front and fuse. *Be sure to use the parchment paper included in the Deco Foil adhesive when fusing the stars to the pillow.
If you want to quilt the front of the pillow, make a quilt sandwich using the pillow front, the StitchnSew Sew-in Fleece and the 20” fabric square. Quilt as desired making sure to sew around each of the stars. If you don’t want to quilt it, just sew around the stars.
Take the 2 pillow back pieces and create a 1” hem on one side of each- fold over one 20” long side 1” and then fold it over again to create the hem. Press and sew down the hem. *make sure if your fabric is directional that you create the hem on opposites sides of the fabric back pieces (one on the right side and the other on the left side)
There are two ways to finish the pillow edges, with binding- which I prefer if the pillow front is quilted, or with the raw edges turned to the center.
If binding the pillow:
Take the pillow front and place it right side down. Line up the two pillow back pieces so the hemmed sides are to the center and the raw edges are lined up with the top, bottom and sides- right sides facing up. Attach binding using a favorite method.
If turning the raw edges to the center:
Place the pillow front right side up. Line up the two pillow back pieces so the hemmed sides are to the center and the raw edges are lined up with the top, bottom and sides- Wrong Sides facing up. Sew around all 4 edges of the pillow. Turn right sides out.
Now all that’s left to do is insert your pillow form and enjoy!