Teachers are the best, aren’t they? I have always been in awe of their dedication, thoughtfulness and love for our kids, but never more so than this year when they have had to figure out a whole new way of teaching. They have shown so much resilience and love for our children, they deserve a massive thank you! This book mug rug would make a darling handmade gift that is easy to mail. Add a gift certificate or your teacher’s favorite treat to make it even more special.
Book Mug Rug Tutorial
Read through entire tutorial before beginning. All seam allowances are 1/4″ unless otherwise noted.
- Heat n Bond EZ-Print Featherlite Iron-On Adhesive
- Stitch n Sew Sew-in Fleece
- Fabric for mug rug – I am using On The Bright Side fabric by Riley Blake Designs
- Spray n Bond Basting Spray
- book worm mug rug
Cutting for Mug Rug:
- From the backing fabric, cut a piece 7″ X 10″ .
- Cut a piece of Stitch n Sew Sew-in fleece 7″ X 10″.
- For the background for your applique (the text print in this example) cut a piece 6 1/2″ X 6 1/2″.
- To create the patchwork accent- cut 8, 2″X 2″ squares of various fabrics.
Applique for Book Mug Rug:
- Print the pattern onto the paper side of the EZ print Featherlight sheet.
- Cut apart the pattern pieces leaving a slight margin around each piece.
- Fuse the pattern piece to the wrong side of the fabric chosen for that piece.
- Cut out each pattern piece along the printed/traced line.
- Remove the paper backing from the pattern pieces.
- Position the pattern pieces on the background square for the applique.
- Start with book 3 centered at the bottom of the 6 1/2″ X 6 1/2″ square 1/2″ up from the bottom.
- Fuse book 3 in place, then place book 2 on top and fuse, repeat to finish the pattern.
- Sew around each of the pattern pieces using a narrow zig zag stitch or a straight stitch.
Finish Book Mug Rug Front:
- Arrange the 2″ squares as you like them.
- Sew the 2″ squares into sets of two, then sew the sets together to create the patchwork accent.
- Sew the patchwork accent to the left side of the applique piece.
Quilt and finish Book Mug Rug:
- Place your backing fabric wrong side up.
- Spray one side of the Sew-in fleece with basting spray and place on top of backing fabric.
- Use the basting spray to coat the wrong side of the mug rug front and center on the fleece.
- Quilt the mug rug as desired.
- Trim the mug rug to 6 1/2″ X 9 1/2″- or as close as you can.
- Bind the mug rug.
Now package up your delightful gift for these amazing teachers and let them know how much you appreciate them!
Happy Sewing friends! xoxo, Amy