The fresh bright colors of Pat Sloan’s “The Sweet Life” batiks are the perfect way to invite the sunshine inside.
Round We-Go Ruffles Pillow by Jennifer Davey
Heat n’ Bond® Lite Quilter’s Edge 1/4″
Stitch n Sew™ Fleece Sew-In High Loft
Pat Sloan – The Sweet Life – True Blue: 43056 20, 43057 53 & 43057 96, Sunshine, Cherry Red Sunshine, Cherry Red Solid, Fresh Linen Solid
Fabric marking tool
Rotary Cutting tools
Hand sewing needle
1. Cut 4 – 1 inch strips from each of 5 batik fabrics. Baste down center of each strip. Pull thread to gather. (A ruffle foot would a great time saving option)2. Cut 2- 7 inch strips of Fresh Linen Solid. Using a fabric marking tool starting in center at 3 1/2″ from edge draw line. Spacing 1 -inch apart mark lines for remaining 4 lines.
3. Iron Heat n’ Bond Lite Quilter’s Edge along each marked lines. Peel away paper of one strip and iron ruffled batik in place, centering on the Quilters Edge. Repeat process till all 5 ruffles are in place. Sew along center of each ruffle to secure. Remove basting stitch.
4. Cut triangles from the strip, using the markings of your ruler to create a 45 degree angle. You will need to cut a total 8 triangles (4 with a blue point and 4 with an orange point.)
5. Piece triangles together as illustrated with a 1/4 – inch seam allowance, matching the long side of the triangles creating 4 squares. Match 2 squares to create rectangles. In same manner sew 2 rectangles together to create pillow front. Press seams.
6. Lay pillow top on Stitch n Sew Fleece Sew-In High Loft that has been cut to fit, layer muslin underneath. Quilt pieces together along diagonal seams created when joining the triangles.
7. In similar fashion layer backing fabric, Stitch n Sew Fleece Sew-In High Loft and muslin, quilt together with desired pattern.
8. Pin pillow front to quilted pillow back with right sides facing, sewing together with a 1/2 inch seam allowance, leave 3-4 -inch opening along one side. Fill with fiberfill and hand sew pillow closed.
Join us all this week and next as we share project using Pat Sloan’s amazing new The Sweet Life Fabric collection from Moda Fabrics!