It’s fall week here at ThermOWeb, and I couldn’t be more excited! The kids are back in school, and even though it still feels like summer outside, I’m starting to think about switching things over to fall inside! I love making small, easy projects to swap out as the season’s change. My go-to is usually pillow covers, but this time I decided to make a mini quilt I could hang on the wall or put in the center of my table.
Pumpkin Applique Mini Quilt
For the main block, I used a pattern from Pat Sloan’s new book, Holiday Celebrations: 17 Quilts and More for 6 Seasonal Occasions. I thought the large center square of this block would be a perfect way to showcase some fall-themed applique. I used my favorite fall colors of purple, orange, and green when choosing my fabrics. If you don’t have the book, look for any block with a plain center. The churn dash and Ohio star blocks are classics that would work well too! However, I highly recommend the book. There are so many beautiful projects to choose from, perfect for all seasons!
- 1 Package of HeatnBond Lite
- Scraps of fabric for applique
- A 12″ or larger quilt block featuring a 6″ center square
- Pumpkin Templates
- These templates were from EQ8, but you could use any fall design! You can search for templates online, and you can usually find quite a few for free! I would suggest searching for pumpkins, apples, or leaves!
- Iron, coordinating thread for topstitching, and supplies for finishing your mini quilt including batting, backing, and binding.
- Trace pattern templates onto the paper side of the HeatnBond Lite.
- Loosely cut out shapes and fuse them to the backside of the fabric pieces.
- Cut out shapes along the drawn lines and fuse them to the center of your quilt block. Top-stitch in place.
- Quilt your block as desired and add binding using your favorite binding method.
- Next, decide where to put your new fall mini quilt. As you can see from the pictures below, I haven’t quite decided yet!
No matter where you decide to hang your sweet new mini quilt, it’s sure to bring a little fall into your home!
Thanks for sewing along with me!
We’ve love to give you a chance to use Pat’s new book for your next project plus some of her favorite HeatnBond products too! Enter to win a copy of Pat’s new Holiday Celebrations Book (a digital copy will be provided if the winner is outside the US) plus a $30 Gift Card to shop at ThermOWeb.com