For the basis of the cloak, I used McCall’s pattern M5952 cut to a size 10 with about 4 inches cut off the length to prevent tripping while Trick or Treating. I did not put on the hood and instead used bias tape to finish the neck. Rather than having it tie at the neck, I added Velcro. It’s less likely to come undone and smoother under his beard. (The beard is purchased and the hat was a party favor from a magic themed party my daughter went to last fall.)
The fabric I used for the cape is polyester and the stars are a metallic poly/cotton blend.
I didn’t really care to edge stitch around countless star appliques. I used them all over the front, back, and sleeves of the cape and with all that stopping and turning it would have taken a long time. I don’t like to spend too, too long on costumes since they aren’t worn for long or many times. So I decided that HeatnBond UltraHold was the way to go. Because you don’t need to use a high heat, it worked well with these polyester materials. I fused it to the back of the metallic and then sent it through my Sizzix to cut multiple stars, about 4 at a time.
Then I simply fused them into the cloak. They were easy to do and added a lot of pizzazz!