Hi Everyone, It’s Becky from Patchwork Posse. Home of fun sewing projects, quilt alongs, and a lot of chit chat!
I for one am all about having the kids help or learn to do more for themselves. These little animal washcloth mitts are perfect for helping them learn to wash up in the bath.
They are super easy to customize to the animal you love. Just depends on your ear shapes and face additions you use. Because of their simple shapes, no templates are needed.
You can use terry cloth fabric to make it soft on their skin. It is a bit fuzzy when you cut it- watch out for that! You can find some cute colors– or use whatever you have on hand.
terry cloth – 2 — 7″ X 9″ per animal
terry cloth- 3″ X 12″ — cut it into 2 squares 3″ X 3″
black fabric scraps- eyes, mouth
Animal Washcloth Mitt Tutorial:
1) Round the top two corners of washcloth.
2) Using the smaller terry cloth piece for the ears, trim the ears to your preferred shape- round the top for a bear, make points for a cat. Sew around three sides, trim, and turn right sides out.
3) Using the HeatnBond® lite fuse it to the black fabric. Cut out a triangle for a cat nose, circle for the bear, and two small circles for eyes- depending on what you are making.
4) Fuse the face pieces in place on the outside piece.
5) Using a zig zag or button hole stitch, stitch around the pieces. You will need to stitch around the face pieces because they will need a little more security while scrubbing and washing in the tub.
6) Stitch a mouth line if you’d like at this point too
7) Pin the ears in place between the large body pieces.
8) Stitch around the three sides of the body- leaving the bottom edge open
9) Fold the bottom edge 1/2″ and hem
10) Turn right sides out
For more quilt tutorials and easy sewing projects, stop by my blog or facebook.