Scaredy Cat Children’s Dress
Hello fellow crafters! Gail here from Simple Life Pattern Company and Boo and Lu Blog. I am so excited to take part in this Thermoweb x Riley Blake Designs collaboration.
When I first saw the Scaredy Cat fabric collection I just knew I had to have it. It’s the perfect mix of spooky and cute. As a lover of all things Halloween I think I am plenty qualified to say that you NEED to get your hands on this fabric.
I had so many ideas running through my head for this fabric but when I received the fabric and showed it to my youngest daughter she squealed “kitties!” That’s when I knew I had to do something cat related to make her kitty loving heart happy.
Cat Applique Tutorial
- Heat n Bond Ultrahold
- Any dress/top sewing pattern you’d like (store-bought dresses work great too!) I used my Maisie’s Tied Collar Dress from Simple Life Pattern Company
- Cat Applique Template
- Thread to match
- One small square of fabric, just larger than the size of the cat applique
Cat Applique Sewing Instructions
Please read through the instructions completely before sewing
- Trace the cat applique onto the paper side of your Heat N Bond Ultrahold
- Fuse the Heat N Bond Ultrahold to the WRONG side of your applique fabric
- After your fabric has cooled completely, cut out around your outline using scissors or a rotary cutter. I find I have more control with scissors but I like the ease of cutting with my rotary cutter.
- Remove the paper backing from your applique
- Place the applique where you’d like it on your outfit. I chose to place mine on the skirt. You can attach it before the dress is sewn, however, I find it easier to see where it will lay by adding it after the skirt is already gathered.
- Fuse the applique with your iron
- Using coordinating thread, topstitch around the entirety of the applique. I like to use the quilting stitches that come with my machine for this step. Feel free to experiment with any decorative stitches that your machine may come with!
- Add buttons for eyes! I have a bag full of buttons that have come with shirts that we’ve purchased (you know those extra buttons that come in the small plastic baggy attached to the tags that come with shirts from the store? Yeah, those!)
Thanks so much for stopping by!
Happy Sewing, xoxo Gail
Love the Scaredy Cat Fabrics?!
Loving all the Scaredy Cat projects? Don’t miss these fun BobBon cat stuffies from The Tattooed Quilter! CLICK HERE for more information about them!
In celebration of this oh so fun fabric from Amanda Niederhauser and her NEW Quilt Book…we’re offering a giveaway for you. Like we said…all treats…no tricks!
Amanda is offering up a copy of her new book that is filled with beautiful quilt projects! And that’s not all…we’re including a $30 Shopping Spree (PLUS FREE SHIPPING) to a lucky winner to shop on our website. Pick up some of Amanda’s favorite so you can make these beautiful quilts!
This post contains affiliate links. For more information, see our disclosure HERE.